Be a part of our Translational Science and Experimental Medicine (TSEM) department with a fast-paced and collaborative atmosphere – and a culture that is both science-based and patient-focused. This position as Team Leader is an opportunity for a scientifically passionate individual to play an important role within our Early Respiratory and Immunology (R&I) organisation.
In this exciting and developing role as Team Leader – Bioinformatics Immunology you will belong to the Data Science & Bioinformatics team and will be placed at AstraZeneca either in Gothenburg (Sweden), Gaithersburg (US) or Cambridge (UK). Our focus is to turn data into insight and deliver precision medicine in respiratory and immunological disease. You will be working with large cohort data and dedicated state of the art multi-omic data sets to identify novel targets and biomarkers to drive patient segmentation and deliver translational insight across both early and late portfolio assets.
What you will do:
You will be responsible to provide leadership to our Bioinformatics – Immunology team and deliver hands on bioinformatic analysis within Immunology projects. As Team Leader, you’ll operate in a highly cross-functional environment together with specialists in sequencing, biomarkers, precision medicine, experimentalists, physicians, immunology disease experts, as well as data science & bioinformatics professionals. You are also accountable to;
- Ensure Early Respiratory & Immunology optimally utilise bioinformatics resource to drive project progression.
- Raise Respiratory and Immunology’s internal and external reputation through communication and dissemination of research in internal and external presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
- Contribute to the progression of pipeline objectives.
- Ensure that results are scientifically robust and documented – and work compliantly and with high ethical standards with patient level data.
As well as significantly contribute to the departmental data science and bioinformatics strategy and drive bioinformatic analysis, to identify novel targets, new biomarkers, previously unrecognised patient segments and drive clinical backtranslation.
Essential for the role:
- PhD or equivalent in computer science, bioinformatics, life sciences, statistics, mathematics or another similar subject area.
- Strong bioinformatic background with proven track record of delivery of impactful bioinformatic analysis in a pharmaceutical environment.
- Strong understanding of Immunology diseases.
- Experience in leading bioinformatic work, though utilisation of both internal and external resources.
- Experience of impacting different stages of drug discovery and development.
- Great practice in line management is desirable.
- Ability to work productively in a matrix team environment and efficiently communicate across discipline boundaries.
The successful candidate will contribute to our science-driven and entrepreneurial organisation that is hungry for new ideas, innovative ways of working and continuous learning. With your positive can-do attitude and eager to learn in each interaction, you will lead and motivate your outstanding team to drive bioinformatic work to ensure scientific excellence and robust delivery to projects. We believe you enjoy team work and have the ability to collaborate closely with other teams to take advantage of knowledge and experiences to push our work forward.